05 February 2008

Forget Mardi Gras, It's Super Tuesday!

Today is Super Tuesday. Here in Minnesota, we democrats are part of the DFL, the Democratic Farmer Labor party. (I've been told that in alley cat races it stands for dead fucking last, but I assure you, the DFL here is not dfl.) And the DFL has a caucus system that has been explained to me a number of times and that I've been part of only once before. I'm pretty excited about the whole thing and I figured nows as good a time as any to editorialize a little more directly.

I'm caucusing for Hillary. Come November I'll vote for the Democrat. I'm caucusing for Hillary not because I don't like Obama, or because I like the way she dresses. In reality, both candidates are equally far from my actual position. I'm much further left than most of the elected Democrats. So on the issues, each candidates strengths and weaknesses pretty much even out. And choosing between potentially the first woman president or the first black president seems to me like trying to choose between cake or ice cream, homemade pancakes or homemade French toast, a nice long soak in a tub or a full massage. You get the point.

So then why Hillary, and not Obama who appeals to a more hopeful view? My peers seem to like him, at least according to Facebook. But my more conservative peers on Facebook seem to think Ron Paul is a great guy.



So I'm taking that with a grain or two of salt.

I'm caucusing for Hillary because I want to see a woman in the White House really running things. This country needs to get back on track, and all the great talk about where were going means shit if the train is still off the rails. I've been talking this over with my mother and with a close friend. My friend and I came to the conclusion that we like how Hillary handled all the Monica shit. She decided to stay, and we think its because she saw more in the relationship than just a promise of monogamy. We think that that shows an ability to see the complexity and depth of a relationship.

Plus Hillary has come out in support of reinstating the Office of Technology Assessment, which is like turning to all the scientists out there and giving them a big thumbs up.

No comments: